Knowledge is power and NoGMO4Michigan wants to give the power back to the people of Michigan. Our citizens have the right to know what is in our food. Our organization strives to provide them with the education and with that knowledge, the power to choose what they eat.
Living with GMOs
An open letter to the citizens, politicians, and regulators of the UK and the rest of the EU about the hazards of genetically modified crops. NoGMO4Michigan signed the letter.
The powerfully written and fully referenced letter details the problems and challenges that American farmers, consumers and others have faced over the nearly two decades since the first commercialised genetically engineered crops were planted. These include:
• Lower yields than equivalent non-GM crops
• Higher chemical inputs and seed prices that are 3-6 times higher than conventional seed, leading to lower profits for farmers
• The risk of cross pollination and contamination of non-GM fields and the loss of export and organic markets due to high levels of contamination
• Increased pesticide use; research suggests that farmers who planted Roundup Ready crops use 24% more herbicide than non-GMO farmers planting the same crops
• Superweeds and superbugs that are resistant to either Roundup or the toxin produced by Bt plants
• Destruction of the natural environment including threats to beneficial insects such as bees and butterflies and harm to important soil organisms
• Studies showing numerous threats to health from eating GM foods and their associated pesticides.
• Lack of scientific consensus on the safety of GMOs
• Increasing corporate control over the food supply
Post publication we will continue to invite endorsements from groups but also individual citizens in the US post publication.
ASK DR. NANDI SHOW
On April 3, 2014, “Ask Dr. Nandi” featured an episode on GMOs and invited, NoGMO4Michigan’s Detroit leader and member of our Board of Directors, Zachary Schafer to be on the show.